My Friends

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

This is my James Christensen ornament

I don't know if you have ever heard of Jame Christensen but he is an awesome Whimsical artist, educator and he was a profesor at Brigham Young University. I don't know if he is still teaching there as the book I have of his was from 1996. It is called "A Journey of the Imagination" and the other book of his that I have is called
"Voyage of the Basset" It was made into a movie. If you ever have some time to spare take a look at his work at the Greenwich Workshop
http://www.hiddenridgegallery.com/art-of-james-christensen.html

I make these from Cinnamon applesauce dough then decorate them when they are dry with beads and stones and gold foil over hot glue. I looks like it is coated with real gold. I made this one last year but I have another in the oven right now. I will post pics when it is done
If you have that composition gold leaf sheets and a hot glue gun you can do some really incredible things like this. Just do your design with the hot glue let it cool a bit then lay the sheet over it and rub. It sticks like glue. The glue must be dry though. Weird huh. This piece here is about 3 years old.

4 comments:

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

That is really gorgeous! You can do anything , Jan! ♥

Jan said...

Nope, I can't knit. That is something I have always wanted to learn to do. I have tried several times to learn by reading a book but I just don't get it.

Firecracker Kid said...

Wow, I visited his site. His characters are sweeet! Very impressive and a joy to look at.

Denise * KKL Primitives said...

I never heard of him so went to visit his site. Love his characters!!! I was also impressed.
Love your ornament!!!!