My Friends

Saturday, March 12, 2011

Tsunami and us

I awoke yesterday morning to the wall of water overtaking the Japanese coast line. My daughter called me from Florida as they are there for my granddaughter cheer leading competitions. She is one of San Antonios grand champions and they are going for the national championships.
She called to make sure we were okay and I didn't have a clue what she was talking about until I looked at the TV. Evidently the tsunami sirens had been going off since about 4:30 am but we are inland about 5 miles so we were out of harms way but we still have a slough that comes into the town from the coast line that the boats dry dock here. So if there were a serge here we would be effected. We were fortunate though and just 15 miles north in Depoe Bay they were hit with a relatively large serge that put a few boats right up onto the docks. Nothing compared to what those unfortunate souls are experiencing in Japan. My heart and prayers as I hope many of you are sending there way. I feel so helpless and my minor donation will hardly make a difference but it is all I can do.
I can't fathom the fear and horror that those people are experiencing and experienced when it hit. May our dear Lord hold them in his hands and help them through all of the rebuilding of their lives that is to come in the future and pray that there are no more tragedies for them to endure.
I am still in shock and having a difficult time coping just now as I felt when Our Twin Towers were hit. The difference is one was a chosen destruction by  man where this is a natural destruction from nature. Now here is where I am having the problem and there will be many comments this I am sure.
I am praying to God that he will watch over them but why did he let this happen at all?
If God created our world and our life then why did he allow this sort of destruction happen. I know that I am opening up a can of worms here but I am just writing what I am feeling. So please, I would love to hear your feelings and comments on this. I do believe in God even though I don't practice particular faith or religion. I say my prayers and I believe but I don't have all the answers as I am sure that there are few that do.
May you all be safe today and say a little prayer for those that are having difficult times and for all the lose of lives though these trying times.
Thank you all for taking time to read this. I hope that I haven't damppend your day by my comments today.

8 comments:

Susan R said...

We paraise Him through the good times and we praise Him through the bad. God is good and he makes everything beautiful in His own time.
We cannot know why He sends these trials, but we continue to have faith so that when we return to Him, we do so with honor and he welcomes us by saying, "Well done thou good and faithful servant."
I don't feel like I've done a good enough job here on earth to hear those words yet. That's why I have to continue to have faith through the good times as well as the bad.

MY PRIMITIVE SALTBOX-KATHY said...

THESE ARE THE THINGS THAT MAKE YOU STOP AND SEE THAT SOMETIMES WHEN THINGS ARE AT THEIR WORST FOR YOU, JUST HOW BLESSED WE REALLY ARE. I HOPE THESE PEOPLE ARE FORMOST IN EVERYONES THOUGHTS TODAY, AND PRAYERS. WHY THIS STUFF HAPPENS, CAN ANYONE EVERY REALLY EXPLAIN IT? NO, NOT REALLY. JUST THE FACT THAT IT DID HAPPEN, ALL HUMAN LIFE IS PRECIOUS. SO PLEASE STOP AND GIVE THOUGHT TO OTHERS TODAY. I COULD BE US TOMORROW. THESE ARE THE THINGS WHEN "PAY IT FORWARD" REALLY COUNT.
JUST MY THOUGHTS.

Wendy @ Ravenwood Whimzies said...

I too believe that God uses events like these to prepare us, and to bring us closer to him. While we in the East have been inundated with snow, and complaining about it a lot...it was like a slap in the face to wake us up and help us to realize that we are truly blessed. God calls each of us to Him at the time He appoints, and it is not for us to say how that will be done. Perhaps He desires to bring the entire nation of Japan to their knees in prayer to Him...we can never know, nor should we question His motions...but only 'be still' and 'listen to His voice" He will show us what we need to know.

Jan said...

Thank you all so much for your very caring and warm comments. I do so appreciate it very much. I knew that I would get some awesome response and feeling regarding this issue. Thank you all again.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I have been praying since we got up yesterday morning and I will say I have a heavy heart. I haven't felt like writing a post so I decided I would wait and do one tomorrow. It happens so fast and it could happen to any of us. My heart goes out to everyone that is suffering....and I will continue to pray. I'm glad you wrote your thoughts, Jan. I know many wonder about God's role in a disaster. I think one of the best explanations I heard was in the movie, Love Comes Softly. Have you seen it? I won't try to paraphrase but I hope you'll see the movie and that it will help your understanding. HUGS to you, my friend! ♥♥♥

Jan said...

Yes, Diane, that is one of my very favorite series. It has such great aspect on life and the love and their strong belief in their faith in God.
Thank you for reminding me of that. I forget exactly how it is put but it is something to the effect that he wasn't the cause but was beside us to help us make it though the darkest hours when everything else seemed so futile he was standing beside us.
It is something like the two sets of Footprints in the sand and then when all things got rough he felt abandon as there were only one set. God said yes, I was carrying you then.
Thank you Diane, I was just having a tough time coping with it all,

Ladybug said...

Prayers and thoughts to all the people of
Japan..Makes you think how percious life is..
So enjoyed reading the comments of evertone
He does carry us in tough times...
Hugs / Blessings Trish

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I'm glad you have seen the movie and understood my comment. I didn't think I could explain it well enough but you have, my friend! Hugs to you! ♥